Monday, July 16, 2007

Punk Rock Paranada



This post is a bit late today but it took about a day to recover from the Gogol Bordello show last night. The first time I heard Gogol Bordello was about a year ago on the now defunct JBTV. I remember not being able to sleep and flipping through the channels when I saw the video for Not A Crime and it was so good and so different that I wrote the band name on a magazine on my coffee table before I fell asleep. One year later, the self proclaimed kings of gypsy punk finally made it to Chicago for what was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. Picture the love child of Circ de Sole, Stomp and the Pogues on speed and you'll have a vague notion of their live show. If you get a chance to catch them live they are a must see and if not you can always hunt down the incredibly rare documentary, "The Pied Piper of Hutzovina" chronicling the gypsy roots of Bordello front man, Eugen Hutz. Full trailer below...